Tea Brack Recipe aka Irish Freckle Bread
1 hr 15 mins
1 hr 10 mins
2 hrs 25 mins
Servings: 1 8-inch loaf
- Interestingly the recipe uses brewed tea as its liquid. If desired, substitute 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey for an equal amount of the tea.
- 1 cup brewed hot tea; Irish breakfast tea is a good choice
- 1 cup raisins packed
- 1/2 cup currants packed
- 1 cup pitted prunes snipped into small pieces
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 cup brown sugar firmly packed
- 2 cups freshly ground red wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/2 tbsp coarse sparkling white sugar
1 Pour the hot tea over the dried fruits in a medium-sized bowl. Set the mixture aside to cool to lukewarm, about 1 hour.
2 Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease an 8" x 2" round cake pan. If your pan isn't at least 2" deep, use a 9" round pan.
3 In a medium-sized bowl, stir together the brown sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt.
4 Add the dried fruit, and any remaining liquid. Stir till thoroughly combined; the batter will be thick and stiff.
5 Add the egg, mixing till thoroughly combined.
6 Spread the mixture into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the top evenly with the coarse sparkling sugar.
7 Bake the bread for 60 to 70 minutes, till a cake tester inserted in the center comes out moist, but without clinging crumbs.
8 Remove it from the oven, and turn it out of the pan onto a rack to cool.